Tuesday, December 22, 2009

2009 : 04-05 Aught Music Roundtable: These Four Walls by We Were Promised Jetpacks


"Conductor"

When I came across We Were Promised Jetpacks' debut CD These Four Walls in my local record shop I bought it solely based on the name of the band and the cover design. And, as it turns out, that was absolutely the right decision. Their songs have shades of Explosions In The Sky but with lyrics (sung in a lovely Scottish accent). There's something about the songs that just clicked with me right away and I found myself listening to the album on repeat for two days straight. "Conductor" is my current favorite off the album. The use of the word conductor as both a conductor of an orchestra and a simple conductor of electricity really tickles me.

April Walker


"It's Thunder and It's Lightning"

It makes me happy that a band with the name "We Were Promised Jetpacks" is enjoyable. I like the post-Indie-Rock sound they have put together: a straight-ahead rock sound that is unassuming. I like the way I can choose to dig into the song or enjoy it just for what is on the surface. Yes, I bought this album for the band's name. Sometimes you get luck with something like that.

Rich Thomas

Listen: We Were Promised Jetpacks >> "Conductor" | "It's Thunder and It's Lightning"

No comments: