Tuesday, November 3, 2009

2007 : 01 "Can You Feel It" by Apples in Stereo


Oh, oh, turn up your stereo
Oh, oh, drown out the static on the FM radio

After Neutral Milk Hotel, Apples In Stereo are my favorite Elephant 6 band. I love Robert Schneider's power-pop-meets-Brian-Wilson sensibility. I think that New Magnetic Wonder is a masterpiece. It collects all the good aspects of Apples In Stereo and blows them out your speakers, making you want to turn the volume all the way up.

""Can You Feel It" is the best opening track of the decade. It sets the table for the rest of the album. It is a way to tell the listener that this album will be fun and exciting. My heart races just hearing the opening guitar riff. Right now I want to jump up and dance around.

In 2007 both Apples In Stereo and Of Montreal got out from under Neutral Milk Hotel's shadow for good. This album is a big part of that.

Rich Thomas

Listen: Apples In Stereo >> "Can You Feel It"

No comments: