Tuesday, November 10, 2009

2007 : 28 "Brunettes Against Bubblegum Youth" by The Brunettes


This song never gets old for me. It's a sly wink at pop music, both as criticism and homage. Take these lyrics on their own, separate from the song:

B-a-b-y
I love to call you 'baby'
When we're this spaceship

Sappy? Yeah. Surreal? A little. But the Brunettes know exactly what they're doing, making this an intentional mashup of pop, rock anthems, and a little bit of soul for good measure. However, the kicker is that it doesn't feel like any sort of hipster irony; there's a lot of love here. I've put this track on countless mix compilations for people, yet nobody seems to share my enthusiasm. This always gives me a little boost of energy.

Jamie Yates

Listen: The Brunettes >> "Brunettes Against Bubblegum Youth"

No comments: