Friday, June 12, 2009

2000 : 21 "There's Too Much Love," by Belle and Sebastian


I could dance all night like I'm a soul boy
But I know I'd rather drag myself across the dance floor
I feel like dancing on my own
Where no one knows me, and where I
Can cause offence just by the way I look

Belle & Sebastian is one of the few bands that makes me think that I listened to The Smiths and got the right lessons. "There's Too Much Love" has the right combo of catchy lyrics and interesting melody that makes songs contagious. When I hear this song I can imagine Stuart Murdoch sitting around his room listening to "How Soon is Now."

I also think they did a good job as a 7-piece band. They use the size of the band to make the songs interesting, not large. I think that is what makes "There's Too Much Love" interesting. It does not sound like a typical pop or rock song.

Rich Thomas

Listen: Belle & Sebastian >> "There's Too Much Love"

No comments: