Thursday, June 18, 2009

2000 : 31 "2-15" by The Marquis de Tren and Bonny Billy


This is the first song from the album Get on Jolly in which all song titles are just numbers.

This song sounds as if it is sneaking up on you, quietly following you, testing the waters before it shows itself to you. Something is playing backwards, but it's hard to identify. It is dissonant and yet melodic at the same time and its tenderness is so beautiful. Will wanders though with his delicate shaky voice and sings:

When you ask me to sing,
it feels like my heart will burst with pride,
and I look at your face,
and tears come to my eyes.

All that's harsh and wrong,
in my life melts into one sweet song,
and my love spreads wings,
like a glad bird flying over the road.

I know you take pleasure in my singing,
I know that only when I sing do you hear me,
cause then I touch things I can't touch,
I touch parts of you that I can't really touch.

And drunk with the joy of singing,
I forget myself and call you my friend.

I'm here to sing you songs,
in your room I have a corner seat,
in your world I have no work to do,
my life can only break out in songs that have no purpose.

E. P. Johnson

Listen: The Marquis de Tren and Bonny Billy >> "2-15"

No comments: