Friday, October 2, 2009

2005 : 51-53 Three tracks by Magnolia Electric Co.


In 2005, Magnolia Electric Co. had three releases: a studio album, a live album, and an EP. Jason Molina is known for putting out a lot of short albums close together. I know some of my friends would say this is a lack of editing. I think it is making the most out of his resources.

"Leave the City" (from What Comes After the Blues)

Broke my heart to leave the city

I mean it broke what wasn’t broken in there already

Thought of all my great reasons for leaving

Now I can't think of any

It's true it was a hard time that I've come through

It's made me thankful for the blues

I love the way that "Leave The City" melds the conflict of place and post-break-up emotion. Leaving a place with a broken heart. You leave because you have to and you need to. The lyrics of this song stay with me all day when I hear it.

What Comes After the Blues seems like the end of Alt-Country to me. I am not sure why, but the whole Alt-Country movement has seemed to die out. At some level this seems perfect to me. I cannot think of a better band to turn off the lights on Alt-Country than Magnolia Electric Co.


"North Star" (from Trials and Errors)

I heard the North Star saying

Kid you're so lost even I can't bring you home

I heard this album a few times before the lyric above jumped out at me. It had to be because of the live album nature of Trials and Errors. The song starts with a long guitar intro. It is just wonderful. Every song on the live album Trials and Errors is long. I think it gives a good sense of the live show and how much he just cuts it up with his guitar the whole time. I love the way the songs on this album flow together because of these long songs.

The idea of being that lost makes a lot of sense to me. There is a point in our lives when we all feel that lost. There is not much you can do about it.


"31 Seasons In the Minor Leagues" (from Hard To Love A Man [EP])

I've been in long enough to know I ain't even getting close

There is a connection between music and sports. There is the big time and the small time. "31 Seasons in the Minor Leagues" is about baseball, but it is easy to see how a musician could think this way. As a baseball fan and a fan of unknown artists, I can really understand this song.

Rich Thomas

Listen: Magnolia Electric Co. >> "Leave The City" | "North Star" | "31 Seasons In The Minor Leagues"

No comments: