Tuesday, October 20, 2009

2006 : 45-46 Aught Music Roundtable: Remember That I Love You by Kimya Dawson



Roundtable Part One: "Loose Lips"

So if you wanna burn yourself, remember that I love you
And if you wanna cut yourself, remember that I love you
And if you wanna kill yourself, remember that I love you
Call me up before you're dead, we can make some plans instead
Send me an IM, I'll be your friend

I bought Remember That I Love You because in 2006 I was in the middle of my K Records buying frenzy. Yeah, at that time I would buy any album that K Records put out on eMusic. That is who I was for a while. I guess I was coming to the Kimya Dawson party late, but at least I got there before Juno.

Remember That I Love You is an amazing, heartfelt album with a lo-fi production that fits very well. Listening to the album, you feel like you are getting to know Kimya Dawson. There is a part of me that wants to draw comparisons Between Kimya Dawson with Daniel Johnson and John Darnielle, but I feel any comparison won't give Kimya her full due. She is making different music than either of them and she should be seen as such.

This album has little nuggets of happiness, pain, fear and optimism. Back in 2006 I could not stop talking to people about this album, but I am not sure anyone listened to me.

Rich Thomas


Roundtable Part Two: "I Like Giants"

In 2009, I learned every word of this song, as part of a plan to sing it from memory. Unaccompanied. In public. Memorizing it wasn't all that easy: the song has a lot of words. It also has an unusual verse structure, with a lot of irregular repetition that proved tricky. But let's set the diabolical aspects aside and look at what else this song contains: a fable, an autobiographical narrative, a vision of religious practice that is both attainable and open-ended, an injunction against suicide made by the suicidal, and a prescription for how to move in the world meaningfully. When I sang it successfully I got a standing ovation.

Listen: Kimya Dawson >> "Loose Lips" | "I Like Giants"

No comments: