Thursday, October 22, 2009

2006 : 50 "The Greatest" by Cat Power


Once I wanted to be the greatest
No wind or waterfall could stall me
And then came the rush of the flood
Stars at night turned deep to dust

I was never a Cat Power fan before The Greatest. There was something about this album that just captured me. It was one of those albums I listed to for weeks. It was in my car CD player for almost a whole year before I took it out. Now it really sounds like 2006 to me.

There a resignation and loss to the song "The Greatest." You wanted to be the Greatest, but you know you will never be the Greatest now. In my head I can see a boxer coming to terms. If you do not want to be the Greatest, you cannot be a boxer; you cannot take that kind of beating without wanting that. Somewhere in me I know all these things to be true.

Rich Thomas

Listen: Cat Power >> "The Greatest"

No comments: