Friday, October 23, 2009

2006 : 52 "Gravity's Gone" by Drive-By Truckers


So I'll meet you at the bottom if there really is one
They always told me when you hit it you'll know it
But I've been falling so long it's like gravity's gone and I'm just floating

In 2006 I turned 34. Being 34 sucked, really, really sucked. The month I turned 34 my employee told me he wanted to work in another department, my boss told me he was leaving for a start-up, and my girlfriend broke up with me. Both my work life and my personal life seemed to be falling apart. It kept on getting worse for a long time. It did not get better until after I turned 35.

"Gravity's Gone" is what most of 2006 felt like for me. The album was released in April, more than enough time for it to be ready for my June swoon. At some point in that year it felt like I was never going to hit the bottom, so this song was perfect.

What I really love about this song is the tone. It is not sad or depressed. I would say it is resigned and accepting. There is a 'fuck it all if this is the way the world is going to treat me' attitude in this song. I think that is why the song put a smile on my face as everything was happening. I guess that is part of the country music tradition.

Rich Thomas

Listen: Drive-By Truckers >> "Gravity's Gone"

No comments: