Wednesday, October 7, 2009

2006 : 02 "Rough Gem" by Islands


The world beat you for the something nice
You worked hard, died poor
You mined what you died for
Diamonds di di di di di uh

An amazing upbeat song about how horrible it is to mine diamonds. I was not expecting to hear a rock song about this. To start with, the musical track is just amazing. It is explosive. It is one of my favorite electronica tracks of the decade. It moves and makes me want to just go.

On top of that, the lyrics cover a really tough subject. Who expects a song about how bad diamonds are? Who expects it to be good and not didactic? I did not feel like I was listening to a protest song. That is pretty cool.

Dig deep but don't dig too deep
When it's late you'll see the hole is empty and oh so deadly
They want me raw but smooth like glass
They want it fast but they don't want flaws
I'm a girl's best friend
Can you cut, I can cut, 'cause I'm a rough gem

Rich Thomas

Listen: Islands >> "Rough Gem"

No comments: