Sunday, July 5, 2009

2001 : 30 "If You Can Want" by the Dirtbombs


Rock is dead. Let's just get that out of the way right now. It died of a bloated colon sometime back in the early 90s. No autopsy was performed so no one is really sure. But then again, it wasn't really getting on well for many years, and most people were relieved when it passed on. People had their pictures taken with it, dressed up like it, and imitated its funny mannerisms. But it was not quite the real thing. Anyways, I didn't pay much attention to its cheap imitators through the 90s and 00s, but I accept that as a reflection of my personal feelings towards it. Maybe I had moved on. I had started new relationships. Bands were all of a sudden calling themselves Post-Rock, which made sense, since, as I said, Rock had died some years before. Then one day in 2001, I heard the first three tracks on this album, and I said to myself, "If there's anyone I want to watch perform necrophilia on the rotting corpse of Rock, its Mick Collins."

Did you know you can buy a 3 bedroom house in Detroit for $5,000? No wonder these chaps are nostalgic for the past.

Darren DeMonsi

Listen: Dirtbombs >> "If You Can Want"

No comments: