Monday, July 27, 2009

2002 : 33 "My Darlin" by Jay Bennett & Edward Burch


Grow up now
My darlin
Please don't you grow up too fast
And be sure, darlin
To make all the good times last

If you watched the movie I'm Trying to Break Your Heart you either think that Jay Bennett got a raw deal or that he got what was coming to him. I am in the camp that thinks he got a raw deal. I think that he was an important part of Wilco and I hear his contributions all over my favorite albums of theirs.

On his solo album I think you can hear what he added to the band. He is not as polished a singer or performer at Jeff Tweedy and that is clear from the solo albums. You can hear a heart and a musical idea on his solo albums. You can get a good idea of what he is about.

I like the Jay Bennett version of "My Darlin" more than the Wilco version. I think that it has more heart and there is more of a connection between the singer and the subject. The song has both a sadness and joy that the Wilco version lacks.

Jay Bennett passed away recently to little notice. He accidentally overdosed on pain medication while fighting his health insurance over a hip replacement. I cried when I heard about it and I cried again when writing this. I used to be a big fan of Wilco and Jay Bennett is the member I felt was the most like me.

Rich Thomas

Listen: Jay Bennett and Edward Burch >> "My Darlin"

No comments: