Thursday, July 9, 2009

2001 : 38 "Disappear" by R.E.M.


The crushed force of memory
Erasing all I've been
The vanishing point appears.
I looked for you and everywhere.
I looked for you and everywhere.
Tell me why you're here
I came to disappear.

At some level I moved west to find myself and to disappear all at the same time. I wanted to get away from the mistakes that I had made in my 20s and to find out who I could be without those mistakes.

The problem I found is that I had to really look for myself when I got here. It was not enough to just vanish. It was not like a painting that was covered by another painting on a canvas. Just removing the top painting was not enough. I also had to repaint.

It was strange when I realized this. My authentic self was not just there standing behind a Monty Hall door waiting for me to make a deal. It was not enough to just disappear. I also had to find myself once I got here.

I looked for you and everywhere.
I looked for you and everywhere.
Tell me why you're here
I came to disappear

Rich Thomas

Listen: R.E.M. >> "Disappear"

No comments: