Tuesday, July 7, 2009

2001 : 35 "Mt St Helens" by Mirah


The example lay before you
You knew what you had to do
You have a pressure in you
To destroy the one who loved you
The death was all around

There is something about Mirah Yom Tov Zeitlyn's voice. It is captivating to me, the way it is personal and sweet. She sings in my headphones like we know each other. She sings songs that connect with me in ways I did not expect. Ideas that I have always known but have never been conscious of. Every once in a while I will hear a lyric from her and it will cut through every other thought in my head.

Of course using Mt. St. Helens as a metaphor for a relationship falling apart is incredible. I am not sure why no one has come up with this before. I have felt like a volcano before in my life. Just listen to the way the songs starts off softly, builds up in sound and fury and ends with her voice and guitar fading away. It is something that deserves attention.

Rich Thomas

Listen: Mirah >> "Mt. St. Helens"

No comments: