Sunday, July 26, 2009

2002 : 28 "In My Heart" by Moby


I am not ashamed to say that I love the Moby album 18. I know that it is easy to mock me for liking Moby. He is the kind of artist who seems tailor-made to make fun of and the people who like him. The 18 album also got over-played, making it easier to make fun of.

When I listen, though, I hear so much. First off, I never thought that Moby would make the album that most reminds me of Pink Floyd. I did not think that 18 would have threads of Dark Side of the Moon and Wish You Were Here in it. Every time I hear this album I can see the connection.

This album is sweeping, expansive, and engulfing. It feels like it creates its own world, like a novel or a movie. It lets the listener live in that world for an hour or so. It moves in a way that makes the album more than just the sum of the songs. The more I listened to it, the more I got out of it. This album still makes me feel great. It still catches me in ways I am not expecting. I think it is really Moby's masterpiece.

Rich Thomas

Listen: Moby >> "In My Heart"

No comments: