Wednesday, July 29, 2009

2002 : 36 "First in Flight" by Blackalicious


Hip-hop is a genre that looks a little weird on this nerdy white gal. And I'll admit my listening criteria are restrictive: live instruments if possible, good hooks, and intelligent lyrics. This is by way of explaining why Blackalicious is one of my favorite hip-hop bands, and why I would argue Blazing Arrow is one of the best hip-hop albums of all time. Gift of Gab has a knack for throwing together surprising imagery in getting his message across. Take this line from "First in Flight":

Rise! Like the sun up at the crack of the dawn
Like a waking giant in the morning stretching and yawning...

Makes me want to get off my ass and do something, anything that will leave a mark on this world. And that's what great music is all about.

Nancy Pokrywka

Listen: Blackalicious >> "First In Flight"

No comments: