Tuesday, August 11, 2009

2003 : 23 "New Year" by Death Cab For Cutie


So everybody put your best suit or dress on
Let's make believe that we are wealthy for just this once
Lighting firecrackers off on the front lawn
As thirty dialogues bleed into one
I wish the world was flat like the old days
So I could travel just by folding the map
No more airplanes or speed-trains or freeways
There'd be no distance that could hold us back

I can say that "New Year" is one of those songs that expressed something I had felt for a long time, but never shared with anyone. There was something about my under-employed 20s. I would get together with friends for New Year's. There were parties going on around us and we did not have the money for them. We had resort to house parties instead. Sitting around drinking cheap beer and wine, not going out to the places where people were dressing up and spending money.

Under this song for me is the feeling being confined by one's life. When you are under-employed there is so much more you want. You have no idea where your life is going or how to where you want to be. I love how this song captures this.

Rich Thomas

Listen: Death Cab For Cutie >> "New Year"

No comments: