Saturday, August 29, 2009

2004 : 11 "Peach, Plum, Pear" by Joanna Newsom


This is unlike the story
It was written to be
I was riding its back
When it used to ride me

When I first heard the line, "This is unlike the story it was written to be," this song had me and I knew it would have me forever. Now when I hear the harpsichord intro to this song, the hair on the back of my neck stands up, knowing that I am going to get a treat. I am going to have something wonderful, for a few minutes at least.

Thanksgiving 2004 Jeremy gave me a copy of this album. In 2005, all the people I knew were rocking on this album. At least all the freaky music fans I know were. There was something about Joanna Newsom's elfin voice and choice of instruments that told you that this album was something special. The harp, organ, and harpsichord on the same album is something to behold. I often find myself drifting when I hear this album.

I could write about any song on this album. I think the album is a masterpiece; I could listen to the songs forever. They are simple and complicated, deep and easy, light and emotional, surreal and meaningful all at the same time. At times I feel like she is singing right into my soul, bypassing any defenses I might have.

I get a smile on my face whenever I hear "Peach, Plum, Pear." It reminds me of a specific time in my life, but it is still worth listening to in the here and now without those memories. I know there are elements of Joanna Newsom's music that not everyone will love, but somehow that makes the music even more special.

Rich Thomas

Listen: Joanna Newsom >> "Peach, Plum, Pear"

2 comments:

jpb said...

I listened to this track (once again) as I was getting your post ready to run and right in the middle I paused, put my head in my hands, and started to cry. There is something about this one that really opens me up, to an inexplicable degree. I think it might be the best thing she's ever recorded.

James Yates said...

This is incredibly beautiful.

I get chills when the chorus of voices kicks in.