Friday, August 28, 2009

2004 : 08 "Evil" by Interpol


Interpol was formed in New York City in 1998. Their music takes me to a place that I just want to linger in for unhealthily long periods. It is somehow darkly comfortable to listen carefully and imagine stories for the creative lyrics that accompany their songs.

Their sound reminds me a bit of the post-punk bands from the late 70s and early 80s that helped lay the groundwork for alternative rock to follow. Bass-heavy, bright snares, and catchy rhythmic guitar work provide a net for strangely timed and uniquely sung lyrics. I was instantly hooked on the vocal style and the sonic production choices they use to effect their instruments.

My track of choice is "Evil" from the album Antics. I feel it is fairly representative of their sound and style. Enjoy!

Dave Evans

Listen: Interpol >> "Evil"

No comments: