Tuesday, August 11, 2009

2003 : 24-25 Two songs by Atmosphere


Track One: "Cats Van Bags"

A world-weary but impassioned hip-hop song about being on tour; in spirit, it reminds me of Bob Seger's "Turn the Page" (I mean no disrespect to either song with that comparison).

Lock eyes with a thousand people at the same time
They minds believin' us, my style of graffiti is
Squeezing just the Midwest sweat out of my shirt
And leavin' with my life essence embedded in your dirt

Plus the bass line is, as they say, sick.


Track Two: "Reflections"

This is, hands down, the most cleverly seductive hip-hop song I've ever heard. Yeah, it treads some familiar territory—famous rapper on tour, sleeping with lots of women--but without the misogyny and sense of entitlement which plague so much of the genre. I can't choose a single line to quote because they are all excellent. The best song Atmosphere has ever done, and one of my favorite songs, period.

This is not by any means the only piece that Slug has ever written to warn women away from him; I can imagine that it is only effective as reverse psychology, since there are so many people for whom intelligent self-deprecation is like sexy, sexy catnip.

Angela Smith

Listen: Atmosphere >> "Cats Van Bags" | "Reflections"

No comments: