Monday, August 17, 2009

2003 : 38 "Handshake Drugs" by Wilco


 

Felt like a clown
They were translating poorly
I looked like someone
I used to know
And if I ever was myself
I wasn't that night
Exactly what do you want me to be?
Exactly what do you want me to be?

I saw Jeff Tweedy do a solo concert back in 2005. It was amazing when he played this song. It really changed the whole tone of the concert, at least for a few songs. The audience sang along with him, almost in a show of support. It felt like a moment of courage. He was willing to say something about himself and expose himself to the audience. We returned that courage with love and support. Before the song he said something about having problems.

The song feels personal and open. I have no idea if it is or not. At the time I felt that putting this song out on an EP (More Like The Moon) was a way to say something to the Wilco fans, the people who really cared.

Rich Thomas

Listen: Wilco >> "Handshake Drugs"

No comments: