Friday, September 11, 2009

2004 : 47 "The Tain" by The Decemberists


I got to see the Decemberists play "The Tain" as their encore live. I already had the EP, and I was lukewarm about it before seeing them play it live. After seeing them play it, I loved it. It is almost a song that has to be experienced live. It is so large and massive it is hard to listen to on a recording, at least for me. In concert it showed me all sorts of things I had never noticed before, like the connection to Led Zeppelin in parts of the song. I could really see that whole Prog Rock aspect of the song. Seeing "The Tain" live showed me how the Decemeberists prided themselves on being performers. I am happy that I had the chance to see this.

Rich Thomas

Listen: The Decemberists >> "The Tain"

1 comment:

James Yates said...

Very nice. This also works as a great opening song when performed live, too.