Tuesday, September 22, 2009

2005 : 19 "If I'm Waiting" by Jason Anderson


I'm slowly embracing
The concept of you as a ghost

Wow. From the moment I heard these opening lines I had to know what this song was about. There are lots of people in my life that I have seen go from present to ghost. I love this opening because there are so many places to go from here.

Leaving the house
Has started to feel like
A fourth grader's Christmas Eve
Killing time at the thrift store
Returning on fire to
Tear through the caller ID
But my Houdini lover
You've escaped and vanished

Ah, this is something I have felt before. The feeling where you are just waiting to hear from the person again. You have exhausted the number of time you can contact them before they get back to you. Now you just have to wait. It is both hopeful and disparaging all at the same time.

I don't know if I'm waiting anymore
Or if it's over
It's probably over

I have been here, too. Do I wait or give up hope? If you give up hope and move on, the relationship will never be the same. If you wait too long, you get stuck in that place. It is a tough choice.

What I loved so much about Jason Anderson's The Wreath was how he totally captured the idea of being stuck. You get a real sense of being in a place where you don't know how to move on. This album reminded me of how I felt in my 20's. I kept on finding myself stuck in places. It is amazing to hear an album that sounds as lost as I felt.

Rich Thomas

Listen: Jason Anderson >> "If I'm Waiting"

No comments: