Friday, September 25, 2009

2005 : 32 "Since U Been Gone" by Ted Leo (covering Kelly Clarkson)


 

This is why I love cover songs. I hate the Kelly Clarkson version of this song, but I love this version. When someone else sings the song it can show you how good it is. The performer can change the context, and get away from all the baggage left by the first person who performed the song.

I love the way he plays the guitar on this song. It keeps me coming back to it over and over again. On top of just performing the hell out of this song, Ted Leo takes the Yeah, Yeah, Yeahs song "Maps" and uses it as a back bridge. It works so well that it would be easy to think the song was written that way. That is just amazing. You gotta love it.

Rich Thomas

Listen: Ted Leo >> "Since U Been Gone"

No comments: