Thursday, September 17, 2009

2005 : 04 For Today I Am A Boy - Antony & The Johnsons


One day I'll grow up, I'll feel the power in me
One day I'll grow up, of this I’m sure
One day I'll grow up, I know a womb within me
One day I'll grow up, feel it full and pure
But for today I am a child, for today I am a boy

I saw a video of a bunch of English soccer hooligans singing this song after losing a match. This is a strange song for a bunch of macho guys to sing. You would think that they would not be down with a song that is about a boy dreaming of becoming a transsexual.

This happens because this song is about something else than that. I think this song is about an inner strength, something that is needed when you are not what you want to be. He knows he is not a woman right now, and that he cannot be. I think there is something universal about this.

Rich Thomas

Listen: Antony and the Johnsons >> "For Today I Am A Boy"

No comments: